Anderson Indian Law maintains a visible presence on Capitol Hill, and works closely with key Members of Congress, agency leaders and presidential administration officials which allows our team to be on the cutting edge of policy and issue development by providing legislative, regulatory, budgetary and political intelligence that goes far beyond the headlines.
Staying ahead of the curve on policy development in Washington is imperative because many decisions are made and deals struck behind the scenes before the debate even enters the public domain. Knowing who is really making the decisions and having direct or indirect insights into their decision-making is crucial to the ability to impact the process.
Some of our work on Capitol Hill includes, but is not limited to:
- Participated in the national lobby effort to successfully amend the Violence Against Women’s Act of 2014
- Lead Administrative Attorney that successfully lobbied Congress which resulted in the approval of Soboba Band of Luiseńo Horseshoe Grande gaming site acquisition
- Frequent expert witness before the U.S. Senate Committee on Indian Affairs and the U.S. House of Representatives Subcommittee on Native American Affairs
In addition, our services also include:
- Advocating on behalf of tribal clients' positions with Congressional and Federal agency decision-makers
- Drafting and analyzing legislative and regulatory proposals, including preparing in-depth analysis and defending the tribal client's views
- Preparing witnesses to testify at Congressional or regulatory hearings
- Preparing testimony, talking points, and other briefing materials for Congressional and regulatory staff
- Daily monitoring of Congressional and regulatory developments
- Assessing and evaluating political participation opportunities